Unique opportunity for African and worldwide civil society to make the voices of ordinary citizens heard at the highest level
List of participants to the Monrovia meeting here.
CSO Outreach programme 28, 29, 30 January 2013 here.
The CSO Outreach selection process is now completed and we thank you all for your massive participation and commitment to making citizens' voices heard at the highest level.
In selecting participants, special attention was given to representation from key stakeholder groups, including
• Marginalized groups such as women's networks, youth groups, children's networks, groups for the disabled and aged
• Special interest groups on issues of economic transformation such as traders, informal sector representatives, farmers associations, and trade unions
• CSOs from Africa and the global south (Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia-Pacific and Arab regions)
A total of 60 participants have been selected for the CSO pre-consultative forum on 28th and 29th January; and will then meet with the High Level Panel members on 30th January during the CSO Outreach day.
The list of participants is available here and we encourage you to liaise with those organisations to convey your messages and discuss partnership opportunities.
HLP consultation with civil society
There will be two parts to the HLP's consultations with civil society. The first will take the format of a ‘town hall' event, and the second part is a series of roundtables on specific thematic issues. The objectives of the HLP outreach consultations with CSOs is to:
• Share evidence from grassroots and CSO consultations with members of the HLP.
• Frame, articulate and deliberate on a clear vision for the future that is informed by the needs and aspirations of ordinary people world-wide.
• Articulate and agree on key pillars of economic transformation, highlighting national building blocks for sustained wealth for all.
• Create a specific platform for excluded and marginalized groups to voice their perspectives, especially youth and children; the disabled and aged; women; and small businesses, traders, and trade unions.
• Engage with African CSOs, with a particular view to deliberate on an emerging African Narrative that will inform the African Consensus position.
During the "town hall" event, CSO members together with grassroots representatives will share evidence, perspectives, and recommendations on the topic of National Building Blocks for Sustained Prosperity and it's sub-themes. This will serve as a framing conversation, also giving critical clarity to the vision and aspirations of ordinary citizens for the future. The "town hall" event will be held between all members of the HLP and the 60 selected CSO representatives, on the 30th January 2013.
The CSO Roundtable Discussions will be held between members of the HLP and the 60 CSO representatives, on 30th January for one hour and thirty minutes. There will be 4 roundtables taking place with specific marginalized groups, i.e. children and youth; women and gender; the disabled and aged; and small businesses, farmers, traders, and trade unions.
The lead agencies for the roundtables are as follows, each supported by the relevant UN agency (UNFPA, UNMC, UNICEF, UN Women, UNDP, UNNGLS):
•Children and Youth - Organisation for African Youth, working with Restless Development
•Women and Gender - FEMNET, working with AWID
•Aged and Disability - HelpAge, working with Africa Decade of Persons with Disabilities
•Farmers, Trader, Informal Sector - ACORD, working with Trade Union Advisory Committee to the OECD (TUAC)
More information on the upcoming Monrovia HLP meeting coming soon, for live news follow us on this website and on twitter @AskAfricaNow